Home » GPS
Category Archives: GPS
GPS navigation for your bike
Since about one month I’m proud owner of a Garmin GPS 60 handheld and so far I used it most times together with my bike. Receiving 6 satellites and with EGNOS support you can locate your current position with a precision of down to 2m with this device. While I have by far not tried all possible things one could do with a GPS I still want to give a short collection of links I found useful and notes you might find useful.
- I put my first track on gpsies.com
- Also having a classical bike computer on my bike I compared the measured distances of my GPS with that of the bike computer. They agree to better than about one percent on two different routes (both about 20 km).
- Good GPS website with technical information about GPS in English and in German.
- Mac-GPS-Software I used so far and found useful are
- LoadMyTracks to transfer tracks between yor Mac and the GPS handheld (Freeware).
- GPSPhotoLinker to geotag pictures you took on your track, provided your camera’s clock is accurate or at least that you know the offset of your camera’s clock (Freeware).
- GPSBabel — a great open source tool for transferring and especially for converting GPS data.
- A good (German) Mac Geotagging Howto can be found at gpsmedien.de: Part 1, Part 2